This is such a simple & healthy dessert to make. It is packed full of anti-oxidants, fibre & vitamin C.
- 6 cooking apples
- 1 cup of sultanas
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp of maple syrup
- A handful of cloves
- Heat the oven to180 degrees
- Wah & dry the apples & core each one using a knife or corer
- Mix sultanas, coconut sugar, cinnamon, & maple syrup in a bowl until combines.
- Using your fingers push the sultana mixture into each apple.
- Stud a few cloves into each apple skin.
- Cook for approximately 45 minutes to one hour depending on the size of your apples.
- Before serving remove cloves & serve with coconut yogurt or coconut ice-cream.
A baked apple is one of the easiest, healthiest desserts to make.
They are packed full of vitamin C are high in fibre. They also contain pectin which is a nutrient that helps prevent cholesterol from building up in the blood vessels.
Apples polyphenols can help support the balancing of blood sugar levels.
Sultanas are a rich source of energy, vitamins & minerals especially vitamin C.
They contain a phytochemical compound resveratrol, which is an anti-oxidant, that has anti-inflammatory properties. Studies suggest it has anti-cancer, blood cholesterol lowering activities.
Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular table sugar. It contains a fibre called inulin & it benefits from the many nutrients found in the coconut palm.
Cinnamon helps balance blood sugar levels & it contains manganese, calcium, iron, & vitamin k. Research suggests cinnamon has a positive effect on immunity & digestion. Stronger doses of cinnamon can be beneficial for improving heart disease risk & reducing the risk of diabetes, cancer & neuro-degenerative diseases.
Cloves are noted for their antioxidant, antiseptic & anti-inflammatory qualities. They also have warming & soothing qualities. Cloves are also carminative & have anti-flatulent properties. They offer a delicious warming flavour to this recipe & work extremely well with apples.
I have chosen to use coconut yogurt or coconut ice-cream with this recipe because they are non-diary & compliment the apples & sultanas deliciousely.