These healthy sweet treats are packed full of nourishing ingredients & no processed or added sugars.
- 150 grams or 2/3 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- chopped hazelnuts (to garnish)
1.Add the hazelnuts into a food processor (keep aside 18 hazelnuts for the center) and blend until chopped into fine pieces.
2. Add cacao, vanilla powder & salt & blend again.
3. Add maple syrup & blend until the ingredients start to stick together, this can take a minute depending on the power of your food processor.
4. Roll into small bite-sized balls, insert at the center one hazelnut, and roll over chopped hazelnuts to cover the balls.
5. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
Hazelnuts are rich in dietary fibre, vitamins & minerals & packed with numerous health’s promoting phytochemicals.
Raw cacao boasts over 700 compounds & complex antioxidants as well as flavonoids. It also contains the mood improver, anandamide which is known for creating the feeling of euphoria. It also boosts serotonin which is the feel good chemical in the brain.
Maple syrup is one of the sweetener’s that is kinder to your body because it is unrefined, natural & contains beneficial antioxidants & phytochemicals. It also provides zinc, & maganese which both play a role in improving immunity & supporting metabolism.
It also has a lower glycemic index that most sweeteners. However please note that any sweetener, even natural ones should only be consumed in moderation.