This recipe is ridiculously delicious & there’s no refined-sugar, gluten or diary in it! I absolutely love this & was delighted to prepare this while I was a guest baker at Treacle café in Sunninghill Village for the day. This completely sold out in one afternoon, so it’s been tried & tested on the public who loved it!
Time to Make: 1 hour Makes: 20 slices
Cashew shortbread crust
- ½ cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 ½ cups raw cashew nuts
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup all natural peanut butter
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup all-natural peanut butter
- 4-6 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Begin by making the base- Place all the shortbread crust ingredients in a food processor & blend until a smooth mixture is created. I quite like to have slightly junky cashew nuts for added texture.
- Place the mixture in a lined baking tray, pushing the ingredients firmly into place & put in the freezer to set while preparing the caramel layer.
- Then place all the caramel layer ingredients in a food processor & simply blend until it makes a smooth creamy paste. Pour this onto the first layer using a spatula. Place in the freezer to set while you prepare the next layer.
- Finally the third layer involves putting all the ingredients into the food processor & blending to a smooth rich paste.
- Pour this layer over the caramel topping using a metal spatula & I used a cup of hot water to keep my metal spatula hot which made the spreading of the chocolate layer go on evenly.
- I then put the tray in the freezer for around 30 minutes to allow all the ingredients to set.
- Then mark & cut 20 squares & enjoy.
This recipe is packed full of protein from the nuts & nut butter. The medjool dates in each layer provide plenty of fiber & toffee consistency needed to connect all the different layers.
Medjool dates are a fantastic supply of fiber, which is important in regulating your blood sugar levels as well as cholesterol. They are also loaded with potassium, which assists in balancing body PH, & maintaining intercellular fluid balance. Deficiency in this mineral could cause elevated blood pressure so this recipe is naturally good for people with high blood pressure.
Medjool dates are great foods to control addiction for sweet foods, & they are loaded with anti-oxidant properties.
The high fiber content keeps you full for longer & helps to curb cravings. They also aid a healthy digestive system, due to both soluble & insoluble fiber & plenty of amino acids.
Additionally, it helps in dealing with irritable bowel & constipation.
The natural nut butter used in the middle & top layer benefits you with its healthy fat, & potassium levels, which is good because it acts against any dangers of sodium.
Natural nut butter is a rich source of fiber, protein, & antioxidants, & magnesium which is excellent for bone & muscle recovery. Its also contains an important amount of vitamin B6 & zinc which helps boost your immunity.
Raw cacao is one of the best antioxidant foods put on this earth, which I am so pleased about as I absolutely adore it.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.