This is such a delicious, moist & healthy cake. It is simple to make & it is packed full of antioxidants.
- 1 large beetroot
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 150ml coconut milk
- 200 grams of coconut flour
- 100grams of raw cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 grams coconut sugar
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 100 grams of dark chocolate ( about 85% cocoa solids, finely chopped)
- Heat the oven to 170 degrees . Line a 900 gram loaf tin with greaseproof paper, letting the paper overhang over the sides of the tin.
- Process the beetroot until smooth. Add the vanilla, eggs, & half the milk, process again.
- Start to incorporate the coconut flour, cacao powder, baking powder, coconut sugar. Once processed add the coconut oil.
- Stir in the finely chopped chocolate pieces, add the remaining coconut milk.
- Transfer into the baking tin, & bake for 1 hour.
- Serve with my coconut ice-cream or coconut yogurt.
This cake is packed full of amazing antioxidants & fibre.
Beetroot is known as a superfood because of its beneficial antioxidants & nutrients such as iron, potassium, silica, manganese, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin B6, folate & vitamin C.
Natural vanilla extract contains numerous antioxidants, including vanillic acid & vanillin. It is chiefly composed of simple & complex sugars, essential oils, vitamins & minerals. These include vitamin B, traces of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron & zinc.
Coconut sugar has more nutrients like iron & zinc compared to normal table sugar.
It also contains a fibre called inulin, which is known for slowing down the absorption of glucose. Plus coconut sugar has nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron & copper.
Raw cacao is packed with antioxidants & is the highest plant based source of iron. In fact it contains more calcium than cow’s milk & is full of magnesium, which is great for the heart & brain health.
Coconut oil helps convert the LDL or “bad” cholesterol into good cholesterol. Coconut oil is easier to digest compared to other cooking oils & it is anti-microbial & anti-fungal. Most importantly it is processed by the liver, which means that it is immediately converted into energy instead of being stored as fat. Please note that if you live a sedentary life anything you eat, no matter how healthy you are will be converted into fat.